2019 was quite a year and you are such a big part of the reason why.
So, in this season of reflection and gratitude, we’re writing to share the highlights of what we’ve achieved together this year.
We’ve made significant strides in pursuit of our mission; preserving and restoring urban greenspaces in Northeast Ohio.
In some of our city’s most distressed neighborhoods, where residents are surrounded by noise and pollution, we know nature can have a meaningful impact. From reducing stress and crime to improving human health and real estate value, conservation is powerful.
And thanks to the contributions of people like you, this year we were able to help complete a very special project.
In partnership with the Greater Cleveland Boys and Girls Club, we created the Morgana Bluff Nature Preserve in Slavic Village. The four-acre park provides approximately 1,700 neighborhood youth with much-needed access to greenspace where they can experience and discover nature.
Additionally, with your support, in 2019 alone we have:
- Preserved more than 400 acres of land and five miles of streams in Northeast Ohio;
- Reclaimed and began the process of restoring over 180-acres of natural area;
- Opened Hemlock Creek Trail, a 1.7-mile trail that connects the community of Independence to the Cuyahoga Valley National Park and links the West Creek Greenway to the Towpath Trail;
- Assisted in the coordination of the official designation of the Cuyahoga River Water Trail from the Ohio Department of Natural Resources;
- Received the 2019 Outstanding Supporting Organization by the National Association of County Parks and Recreation Officials;
- Hosted the Xtinguish Celebration & Torch Fest celebrating 50 years of the Cuyahoga River’s recovery;
- Hosted dozens of tree plantings and volunteer events;
- And so much more!
What began as an effort to save Parma’s last undeveloped greenspace in 1997 has, with your help, grown into a reservation of more than 500 acres. But that was just the beginning. Together with our donors, members, partners and volunteers, we have completed nearly 200 conservation projects that have enhanced Northeast Ohio’s natural, recreational and historical resources across five counties.
As we look ahead to the New Year, we are excited to continue projects that make nature your neighbor. And we invite you to be a part of this work. Join us this holiday season with a special gift that will go a long way in enriching the lives of Greater Cleveland residents through nature.
There are so many ways you can make a difference; with our membership options, one-time donations, planned-giving and sponsorships, your commitment will ensure the preservation of our area’s native habitats.
For every $1 you donate, 89 cents goes directly into land and water conservation projects, making your investment not only cost-effective but locally impactful for generations to come. We are so very grateful for your continued support of our organization and conservation efforts!
Happy Holidays from all of us at West Creek Conservancy!