(Mahoning County, Ohio) Thanks to another successful grant application to the Clean Ohio Conservation Fund, Mill
Creek MetroParks has expanded its presence into another previously under-served area of Mahoning County and
places the MetroParks at more than 5,000 total acres.

The MetroParks has acquired 161 acres, located in Smith Township on W. Western Reserve Road, known as
Hawkins Marsh. The MetroParks partnered with West Creek Conservancy in the acquisition of the property that
consists of a variety of unique natural habitats including critically important wetlands. The Clean Ohio Conservation
Fund provided 74% or $843,800.00 of the $1,143,530.00 total project cost, with the remaining 26% or $299,730 in
the form of a bargain sale. Future improvements are currently being planned for the property and due to parameters
associated with the Clean Ohio Conservation Fund Program, will be limited to passive recreation opportunities.

“Once again, we are thrilled to be able to announce this most recent acquisition thanks to the dedicated efforts of
MetroParks staff, our partners at West Creek Conservancy and financial support from the Clean Ohio Conservation
Fund. The acquisition of this unique property is another step forward in the mission of the MetroParks serving the
needs of all of Mahoning County.” said Aaron Young, Executive Director.

About Clean Ohio Conservation Fund


The Clean Ohio Conservation Fund is dedicated to the preservation and enhancement of open spaces, sensitive
ecological areas, and stream corridors throughout the State of Ohio. The program is administered statewide by the
Ohio Public Works Commission (OPWC) and locally through the Natural Resources Assistance Council (NRAC) of
Eastgate Regional Council of Governments. Properties acquired through the Clean Ohio Conservation Fund must
be preserved and protected in a natural state in perpetuity, and only allow for very limited development.

About Mill Creek MetroParks

Mill Creek Park was established in 1891 by Volney Rogers as the first park district in Ohio. In 1989, the diverse
lands now known as Mill Creek MetroParks officially became a metropolitan park district, providing visitors of all
ages the opportunity to relish “the gem” of Mahoning County. From the casual visitor to the local explorer, Mill Creek
MetroParks offers a natural escape and recreational activities for the enjoyment of all ages.

The mission of Mill Creek MetroParks is to provide park, recreational, educational, and open space facilities of
regional significance. In fulfilling this mission our objectives are to be responsive to community needs; to be
environmentally sound; to be adaptable; and to be economically feasible.

To explore, experience and enjoy Mill Creek MetroParks, please visit www.millcreekmetroparks.org or call
330.702.3000. Like them on Facebook at (Mill Creek MetroParks) and follow them on Twitter (@MillCreekMetro) and
Instagram (millcreekmetroparks).

Carex tuckermanii